Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

In Praise of Kibble

File this under "Things that happen in California that never happened in Brooklyn and I'm not sure I'll ever get used to."  That's a long heading, I know, but I'm a dog.  You should be impressed at what organizational skills I have.

One of my owners took me for a walk yesterday morning up in the hills and, bless his heart, I love him for it.  It's hard to describe to a human what a walk in these hills is like for a dog.  But imagine going shopping in one of those - whaddya call 'em - malls, except everything in the mall is made of stuff you can either eat or pee on.  Sometimes both.

Back in Brooklyn, my owners were known for having friends over and making orecchiette with sausage and fennel.  In Los Angeles, fennel's growing all over the friggin' place!  Out of the ground!  So believe me when I say I love going on these walks, even with the arthritis and whatnot.

It's a gorgeous January day out here (another thing you'll never hear in Brooklyn) and we're about halfway up this canyon when I see this crazy SOB run across our path with a friggin' rabbit in his mouth:


This coyote, he stops, looks at me like, "Whaddya gonna do, right?"  And I'm looking up at my owner like, "Seriously, whaddya gonna do?"  Now I don't wanna get too racial or anything, I mean, I'm from Brooklyn, where everyone lives with everyone and mostly gets along, but these coyotes... they aren't like other dogs.  They'll soon as gang up on you and mangle your coat as as sniff your hind parts.  So I didn't know what this crazy kid was gonna do next.

Lucky for me, I was with my owner and coyotes don't care much for humans.  After a second or two, he trots off and we turn back for home.

It was a lot of excitement for a girl my age to be seeing new, exciting things like that, and it's just one of the reasons I recommend to all my friends retirement in a lively setting.

But as I took a nap on the balcony that afternoon, looking back up into the hills, I was pretty grateful I have owners who take care of the whole food part for me.  Sure, the kibble gets boring sometimes, but what else am I gonna do?  Chase rabbits?  At my age?!  Come on!

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see a dog who is grateful about the small things. Keep it up Hayes!

    ReplyDelete